Misconceptions about ICAN Case Study

Misconceptions about ICAN Case Study
1.      “You can’t prepare for ICAN Case Study”:  So many people hold this opinion because they feel the exam is very unpredictable. This is actually not true, a decent proportion of the marking guide IS predictable.
2.      “I have to do well in the Requirement 2 calculation to pass”: The calculation itself usually only accounts  for 5 marks in the exam, so, you don’t have to but it is a bonus.
3.      “I have to write a beautiful report”: Marks in this exam are awarded for points in the marking guide and not how well your report flows.  Substance is superior to form in this exam.
4.      “I have to use 2 hours to plan my report”: Different students have different approaches, but, I recommend you should start writing your report within an hour. Planning the whole essay at once is very cumbersome. Also,  case study can be time-pressured, so, it is not advisable to use only 2 hours to write.
5.      “The more I write, the better”: I agree with this because there is no negative marking implying that your marks will not be reduced if you make a wrong point.  So, you have nothing to lose. I disagree with this when a student is wasting his time on a point(which accounts for only one mark). In an exam that can be time-pressured, every single second must be used wisely.

6.      “If I get the calculations right, I’m guaranteed a pass”: Contrary to popular belief, calculations do not account for the bulk of the mark. I actually got my requirement 2 calculations wrong but still passed because I got all the other easy marks. The problem with this mindset is that is not likely to score the easier marks. This will make he/she over-dependent on getting the calculations right to pass.

     Reference
Aca simplified. (2015). Cracking Case - How to Pass the ACA Case Study (July 2015). Germany: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform.